The Controller oversees Adventure Cycling’s accounting operations, including revenues, expenses, property, cash flows, assets, and liabilities. Along with providing financial reporting expertise and cost analysis, the controller also ensures compliance with all applicable regulations and fiscal policies and procedures.
The Controller has direct contact with the management team, leadership team, board members, and staff, as well as with external auditors, and various local, state, and federal agencies. In addition to serving Adventure Cycling, the Controller works collaboratively with leaders concerning business operations. The Staff Accountant reports directly to the Controller.
About Adventure Cycling:
As the largest nonprofit cycling organization in the country, Adventure Cycling has an impactful voice in policies and programs that advance the safety and accessibility of cycling. Adventure Cycling serves through its members and the bike travel community. Our cycling community encourages and supports countless cyclists each year as they explore the beauty and history of America while tending to their mental and physical well-being. For nearly half a century, Adventure Cycling has created life-changing experiences that deepen appreciation for our country’s diverse cultures, communities, landscapes, and people. Adventure Cycling headquarters are based in Missoula, MT, and we acknowledge and honor the Indigenous peoples who consider this land their home. The area’s natural abundance was stewarded by many peoples including the Blackfeet, Crow, Shoshone, Cheyenne, Kootenai, Pend d’Oreilles and Salish for millennia before colonization, and continues to be to this day.
Commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion:
The Staff and Board of Directors of Adventure Cycling Association believe in the power of bicycle travel to open minds and change the way the world explores. We envision a future where this organization draws staff, tour leaders, members, board members, and riders from the whole of our society. For this to occur, bicycle travel has to be available for everyone.
We are committed to listening to BIPOC, LGBTQ, and other marginalized peoples and understanding the systems contributing to oppression while also working to provide more resources and support for these communities.
The Adventure Cycling Association acknowledges its place in this power dynamic. As an organization we have benefitted from white privilege omnipresent in the United States and must use our power to hire, support, empower, and create safe spaces for Black, Indigenous and People of Color, LGBTQIA+, and Femme/Trans/Women communities.
- Lead the accounting operations and provide financial reporting expertise for Adventure Cycling leadership
- Assist leadership with important financial decisions using cost analysis, risk and opportunities, and other forecasting methods. We are looking for someone who can get their head above the trees!
- Oversee accounting staff with transactional activities including accounts payable, accounts receivable (revenue recognition and billing), and payroll, general accounting, reconciliations, month-end close, and maintaining work papers
- Analysis and data visualization, budgeting and forecasting
- Grant management, allocations, and funder reporting
- Prepare financial documents such as business reports, financial forecasts and statements
- Oversee and direct budgeting, audit, accounting, and financial forecasting.
- Assure procedures and systems necessary to maintain proper records and to afford adequate accounting controls and services. Recommend and implement improvements.
- Supervise employees who work under the Controller to oversee accounting, bookkeeping, and payroll
- Keep up-to-date on the financial market to understand how to maximize programs and find new expansion areas
- Present at monthly and quarterly board/leadership meetings on financial state
- Financial reporting for management and Board decision making and presentations
- 5+ years of progressive experience in nonprofit financial management
- Prior supervisory experience
- Demonstrated working knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and FASB pronouncements
- Comprehensive knowledge of annual financial reporting audit processes
- Comprehensive knowledge of Federal and State annual reporting requirements
- Demonstrated knowledge of management practices within a complex budgetary environment
- Ability to analyze financial data and prepare financial reports, statements, and projections
- Excellent planning, organization, and communication skills to interact effectively with individuals at all levels of the organization
- Advanced proficiency in business applications, such as Microsoft Office Suite
- Knowledge of automated financial systems
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of work-related information and materials
- Ability to operate strategically and on a detailed level
- Understanding and willingness to engage with issues of institutional and structural racism or bias and their impacts on our organization and community.
- Commitment to equity and inclusion and to learn and respect differences of race, ethnicity, gender identity or expression, ability, religion and socio-economic circumstances and class.
- Experience with MIP/Abila and other accounting software
- Experience working with people very different from yourself.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Elements of job duties may require occasional moving of up to 15 pounds and the ability to occasionally stoop, kneel or crouch; candidates not able to meet such demands can possibly work with staff or others to accommodate.
Compensation, Schedule and Benefits:
This is a full time, exempt position (average 40 hrs/week). The schedule varies by supervisor, but is generally M-F, 8 am-5 pm MST. We are located at Adventure Cycling’s headquarters in beautiful and bike-friendly Missoula, Montana. This is a remote-based position. Benefits include paid time off, holidays, an additional fully paid one-week bike vacation (a.k.a. “bike respite”), medical, dental, and vision coverage, life insurance, and retirement plan. We have a wonderful office in downtown Missoula, with plenty of bike racks! Adventure Cycling Association is an equal opportunity employer.Apply Online